5 Essential Qualities of Skilled Construction Laborers
A career that seems to be unaffected by today’s economy is that of a construction worker. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, construction jobs are on the rise, which is good news for construction workers and skilled labor. As more and more businesses grow, and employers continue to invest in expanding, construction jobs are projected to increase by 25% by 2020, faster than the average 14% increase of all other occupations.
With the increased demand for construction workers, construction managers need to develop a team of skilled construction workers they can depend on to complete projects on time and within budget. Here is a list of five essential skills and abilities to look for when choosing commercial, residential and industrial construction workers:
- Physical strength and stamina— Skilled construction labor must perform multiple tasks at construction sites that require extensive physical labor, including lifting, climbing, bending, digging, and operating hand and power tools. Look for construction labor who possess physical strength and stamina.
- Manual dexterity and coordination—Along with physical strength, construction workers must have excellent hand-eye coordination, be able to move his/her hands quickly, and be able to grasp and assemble objects with 2 hands. Many jobs require sitting, standing or lying down, and construction labor workers must possess multi-limb coordination, which is the ability to work with both arms, both legs or one leg and one arm.
- Strong reading and math skills —It is also important for construction labor in all trades to be very attentive to specifications made by construction contractors. They must be able to read and interpret blueprints and work related documents. Good math skills are essential for calculating measurements and angles, and determining accurate adjustments. A good understanding of geometry helps with interpreting designs.
- Building and mechanical knowledge—Familiarity with building materials and experience using tools involved in the construction, repair and restoration of buildings, highways, bridges, ships and other structures are more important skills to look for in a construction worker. Skilled construction labor should also have experience in using mechanical tools, operating machines, and maintaining equipment.
- Excellent vision and depth perception—Construction jobs require accuracy and precision. For this reason, it is also very important that construction workers have good eyesight. They must have the ability to read blueprints and see details at close range, as well as from a distance. When operating machines, skilled construction labor must be able to see the gauges and dials to make sure everything is functioning properly, and be able to perceive how near or how far to move equipment.
Quality Skilled Construction Labor in Less Time
With so many details that need to be covered when hiring quality construction workers and skilled labor, many contractors rely on temporary construction staffing agencies to fill their construction labor needs. All the time it takes to post a construction job, interview, screen and hire a construction worker, is saved with one phone call to a construction staffing agency. Skilled labor requests are filled effortlessly, and you never have to wait days for a skilled construction worker to show up to your site. The result: increased productivity.
The Tradesmen Advantage
Tradesmen International provides contractors with talented construction workers in a variety of skilled trades at various skill levels. Our extensive selection process ensures that our skilled labor possesses the essential skills, experience and certifications needed to perform their job. With more than 150 offices throughout the United States, Tradesmen matches thousands of construction workers to commercial and industrial construction contractor specific requests in an instant.
Our database is updated and thoroughly maintained with skilled labor experts including:
Our commitment to recruiting, screening and hiring the most talented construction workers helps you achieve your production goals faster.
Your time can be devoted to managing your construction project, while we take care of payroll, benefits, and administrative duties. In addition, construction craft employees are offered safety education, reliable work, competitive benefits, and training opportunities. Take advantage of Tradesmen’s reliable construction workforce and increase your workforce productivity today!