Explore the Advantages of a Utilizing a Temporary Workforce
When contractors need to increase their workforce without breaking the budget or hurting the bottom line, partnering with a construction staffing agency to access qualified contingent workers can be a great solution. Skilled labor staffing agencies like Tradesmen International provide access to a talented pool of experienced craftworkers that allows contractors to get the workers they need, when they need them.
The advantages of a temporary workforce are many, but how do you know if working with a construction staffing agency if the solution for you? Here are some pros and cons to utilizing contingent workers.
Contingent Workers: Pros and Cons
- Allows for a variable staffing model: Skilled labor is one of the largest expenses a construction company has. When construction projects are fluctuating, temporary skilled labor staffing agencies provide you with qualified workers without taking on the extra burden of adding full time employees. Having a collaborative relationship with the construction staffing firm enables them to stand prepared to dispatch the right number and right level of skilled craftworkers. This flexible staffing consistency helps you adjust more quickly to workload ebbs and flows, and to increase workforce productivity.
- Frees your staff of labor relations duties: One of the benefits of using a labor staffing agency is that you gain more than a solid foundation of skilled employees. They will also have strategic labor relations strategies that can help reduce training costs, manage employee files, vacation, benefits and unemployment claims. Outsourcing your labor relations will also free your staff to focus on key operations to help you complete projects.
- Allows for targeting highly skilled or specialized workers: Construction projects may require a different skill set than you were anticipating when you built your full time staff. An easy, safe and flexible
- Specific Worksite Training Requirements: No matter how skilled a worker is, there is still a certain amount of time that must be put in to training them once they are placed at the job site. However, this training would be required for any employee, full-time or temporary. Also, if this contingent worker is retained or brought back again, training needs are minimized.
- Morale Concerns: There is an inaccurate perception that having temporary construction workers supplementing the work of a full-time staff has a negative effect on full-time employee morale. In reality, using temporary construction personnel enables contractors to hit greater profitability, which in many instances translates into greater pay and greater project bonuses for full-time employees. In addition, using contract skilled labor actually helps job stability for full-time employees on staff.
Temporary skilled labor staffing can be a great way for construction companies to manage changing workloads, so it’s important to find a staffing agency you trust to meet your needs. If you’re looking to cut staffing costs while still working with highly trained craftworkers, Tradesmen International has a solution for you.